Saturday, December 24, 2005

More Military Movement & Melvin Family Minutae

Its been a breakneck pace at the end of the semester. Good news on the seminary front - if the "Jerry Rice/Joe Montana" thread-the-needle pass crosses every "T" and dots each "I" in perfect timing, I'm done in Decemeber of next year. I've promised my wife and family at least 2 years away from textbooks and 2 years (minimum) tuned in to my family.
God has been good in very clear and visible ways in our family this year. As busy as the end of the educational year is, the blessing of my Guard job has shown itself, by means of time on weekends and nights (sounds like a promo for a cell phone calling plan!) with the family. On the "heads-up-display" has come a recent development.
Apparently, the Army has decided to move forward with the addition of 5 weeks of Officer Basic Leadership school (held at Ft. Benning, GA) to the lesson plan of every officer (Chaplains, JAGs, Docs, as well as all normal line officers). The implication for my team is that if I don't finish before the summer Chaplain Officer Basic Course (CHOBC) it may be likely that I need to re-do the entire slate of training. Bottom-line: 6-7 weeks now or 17-18 weeks later. So it appears that I'll be shipping out, mid-semester, to Ft. Jackson, SC for the balance of my CHOBC experience. Oh and if anyone has great insight into how to get real-time video conferencing between a Mac and a PC, please leave a post -- I'm trying to "eat dinner" with my family from across the country via webcam to make the time fly a little faster.
I reckon it goes without saying that I would covet anyone's prayers for my family and me in the coming months. I'll post more later, however, I would like to throw out a few questions (I'd like to develop these more later):
1) How could Active Duty (or Guard/Reserve) Chaplains work with off post pastors and churches for outreach on bases and posts?
2) What are the implications/concerns/obstacles/benefits of such an idea?

I would especially welcome the comments of those who have done this or at least tried. It seems that the two types of ministries have, for the most part, stood in tension. "If you really want to reach military personnel, you need to be right where they are - be a chaplain." OR "If you want to avoid the vagaries of chaplaincy and pluralism, the purest way to reach the military is to establish churches focused on military near the base or post."
Why shouldn't these two approaches be able to work together?

More later?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home