Monday, November 28, 2005

Getting a "feel" for Fundamentalism

An initial entry heads in the direction of understanding the flavor or "feel" of our fundamentalism.

I had lunch at Luby's Cafeteria one afternoon a handful of years ago. My lunch companion was one of fundamentalism's "players" of previous generations. He is now with the Lord.

I asked him the following (paraphrased) question:

Since I've been charged (at my ordination) with never being ashamed to be called a "militant fundamentalist," is it possible to make a distinction?
The distinction goes something like this: Is it fair to make a difference between a "George Washington" militant fundamentalist and a "George Patton" militant fundamentalist?
In other words, can I maintain my integrity as a militant fundamentalist and "fight" like a kind gentleman or must I abandon all courtesy and be a jerk - George Patton militancy.
His response was something of a "huh" or "hmmm," at most an "I suppose." I think there was even a "I hadn't really thought of that."

Now, having stated the above, I am aware of the caricature. However, nonetheless, I'm fairly convinced that there is a need for more George Washingtons and fewer George Pattons. SI and other blogs have been a refreshment as I hold my breath.

Thoughts?

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris Melvin said...

I'm thinking your thinking Patton is more forceful (prophetic) than Washington. Is this out in the weeds? Or close?

On Patton in particular - here are a few quotes (then you tell me if you think its still possible:)

"Brad (Gen. Omar Bradley), this time the Kraut's stuck his head in a meat grinder. And this time I've got hold of the handle."

"I love war and responsibility and excitement. Peace is going to be (sic) hell on me."

And for giggles, but not necessarily related to the discussion -

"When it's all over and you're home once more, you can thank God that twenty years from now, when you're sitting around the fireside with your grandson on your knee and he asks you what you did in the war, you won't have to shift him to the other knee, cough, and say, 'I shoveled [crap] in Louisiana.'" (To troops during D-Day buildup in England, 1944)

Of course, I suppose that goes to personal interaction.

I think I see where you're headed though.

Monday, November 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home